WABASHA, Minn. - The Minnesota State Patrol said a motorist died when his minivan collided head-on with a school bus near the southeastern Minnesota town of Minneiska.
No students were on the bus when the crash happened just before 6 a.m. Friday on U.S. Highway 61 in Wabasha County. The crash started both vehicles on fire.
The Patrol said 27-year-old Travis M. Jacobson, of Winona, died at the scene. The school bus driver, 59-year-old Vernon E. Andrews, of Ellsworth, Wisconsin, was taken to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, where he was listed in serious condition.
Highway 61 was closed for 4 1/2 hours while officials investigated the accident and cleaned up the roadway.
- Boy: 'I flew over a couple of seats and I hit the ground on the bus' during dump truck crash
- Wet weather keeps farmers from planting crops
- 9 months after fatal crash, driver charged with felony
- UW Health trial involves injecting stem cells into patients with heart failure
- Armed home invasion likely targeted, drug-related, police say
- DNR board OKs reducing fall buck-only zones