WABASHA, Minn. - The Minnesota State Patrol said a motorist died when his minivan collided head-on with a school bus near the southeastern Minnesota town of Minneiska.
No students were on the bus when the crash happened just before 6 a.m. Friday on U.S. Highway 61 in Wabasha County. The crash started both vehicles on fire.
The Patrol said 27-year-old Travis M. Jacobson, of Winona, died at the scene. The school bus driver, 59-year-old Vernon E. Andrews, of Ellsworth, Wisconsin, was taken to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, where he was listed in serious condition.
Highway 61 was closed for 4 1/2 hours while officials investigated the accident and cleaned up the roadway.
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1
- Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended for cattle