WEST ALLIS, Wis. - Authorities and family members say a 13-year-old boy rescued his 4-year-old brother from a burning duplex in West Allis where another brother and a friend died in the fire.
The three brothers and the friend were in the upper apartment of the duplex when the fire started early Sunday. The 13-year-old and his 4-year-old brother made it out. The other two did not.
Pavielle Gonzales is a cousin of the three brothers and lives nearby. She said she saw flames coming from the duplex and went to the scene. Gonzales said her 13-year-old cousin, Joel Gonzales, tried to go back into the burning duplex to get the others after he rescued the 4-year-old, but the flames were too much.
The Journal Sentinel reported the brothers who escaped the fire are recovering at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms