WEST ALLIS, Wis. - Authorities and family members say a 13-year-old boy rescued his 4-year-old brother from a burning duplex in West Allis where another brother and a friend died in the fire.
The three brothers and the friend were in the upper apartment of the duplex when the fire started early Sunday. The 13-year-old and his 4-year-old brother made it out. The other two did not.
Pavielle Gonzales is a cousin of the three brothers and lives nearby. She said she saw flames coming from the duplex and went to the scene. Gonzales said her 13-year-old cousin, Joel Gonzales, tried to go back into the burning duplex to get the others after he rescued the 4-year-old, but the flames were too much.
The Journal Sentinel reported the brothers who escaped the fire are recovering at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry