BRODHEAD, Wis. - The Brodhead Fire Department is making changes to improve efficiency and save money.
The city council decided to form a fire district with the Rural Brodhead Fire Association on Monday.
The new district includes the towns of Avon, Spring Valley and Magnolia in Rock County.
In Green County, it includes the towns of Decatur, Spring Grove and the city of Brodhead.
Brodhead Councilman John Bernstein said all the equipment will continue to be housed in Brodhead. The change will lead to some savings for the city but, at this point, Bernstein said it's unclear how much.
"There are some financial responsibilities that will remain the city's. It will mean an increase in the input from the townships that are paying into the fire department. It will all be done by equalized evaluation and population," Bernstein said.
Bernstein said the city's previous agreement with the five townships didn't give them equal say in the day-to-day operations of the fire department. The new fire district will be run by six appointed commissioners that will be named by the city and town leaders.18524132
The new changes will take effect at the city council's next meeting on Feb. 25. That's when officials are expected to sign the documents and appoint three commissioners to the district.
Bernstein said residents won't see changes to fire service or response times.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say