WAUSAU, Wis. - An 8-year-old boy who was struck by lightning in central Wisconsin could soon be released from the hospital.
Blake Draeger is recovering at the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison.
He was struck June 26 as he rode his dirt bike in a field in the Town of Rib Falls. The lightning ruptured his eardrums, scratched the lenses of his eyeballs and left more than a quarter of his body covered with second-degree burns.
The boy's father, Chris Draeger, said the medical team doesn't predict any permanent damage to Blake's ears or eyes.
Daily Herald Media reported the boy could be released from the hospital as early as Thursday.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns