BLANCHARD TOWNSHIP, Wis. - Authorities in Lafayette County have identified the Blanchardville boy killed when he was hit by a piece of digging equipment.
The Lafayette County Sheriff's Department said 8-year-old boy Melvin Jerrett Jr. died Friday afternoon after he was run over by a skid-steer loader.
According to a statement, officials pronounced the child dead at the scene in Blanchard Township. The statement said Melvin Jerrett Sr., 31, was operating the skid-steer loader was backing up when he ran over the boy.
Officers received the 911 call a little before 5 p.m. Friday.
The sheriff's department said the skid-steer equipment was being used at a small campground site development.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes