MADISON, Wis. - Staff at the Bonfyre American Grille is doing everything it can to reopen on New Year's Eve following a Saturday morning fire.
That's the message posted on the web site of the west side restaurant that sustained an estimated $100,000 in damage Saturday morning after a fire in the ceiling.
Madison Fire Department Spokeswoman Lori Wirth said at about 10:40 a.m. the department was dispatched to a report of a fire at Bonfyre American Grille just off the West Beltline near Todd Drive; firefighters had the fire under control within 30 minutes.
Wirth said it appeared the fire started in the ceiling above the kitchen.
"It was a fire in the kitchen area, the firefighters actually kept it from spreading into the larger kitchen and restaurant," Wirth said.
Though the restaurant was closed at the time, workers were in the kitchen preparing for the business day and getting the grill started when they noticed smoke and smelled burning, Wirth added. The workers evacuated the restaurant and called 911.
No one was injured, Wirth said.
Bonfyre American Grille shares the building with multiple other businesses at the Arbor Gate Towers, including retail establishments and corporate offices.
Wirth said there appears to be no damage to neighboring businesses.
Bonfyre is currently closed pending an assessment from the health department and repairs to the ceiling area, Wirth said.
It is unknown when exactly the restaurant will reopen, though Wirth noted the estimated $100,000 in damage is restricted mostly to the interior kitchen ceiling and some smoke damage to that area.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK