ELKHORN, Wis. - A body found near a hiking trail in the Kettle Moraine Forest has been officially identified as Russ Delorme, according to a release from the Walworth County Sheriff's Office.
A hiker called the sheriff's office at 3:30 p.m. on Aug. 17 to report the discovery of a man's body off the Yellow Trail. The body was found in a heavily wooded area off the marked trail.
Personal items at the scene led deputies to believe the body was that of Delorme, 48, who was reported missing Aug. 1. The cause of death is believed to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Deputies were waiting for dental records, but confirmed that the body was Delorme on Tuesday.
Deputies had conducted eight searches on foot, horseback, and ATVs in search of Delorme.
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement