ELKHORN, Wis. - A body found near a hiking trail in the Kettle Moraine Forest has been officially identified as Russ Delorme, according to a release from the Walworth County Sheriff's Office.
A hiker called the sheriff's office at 3:30 p.m. on Aug. 17 to report the discovery of a man's body off the Yellow Trail. The body was found in a heavily wooded area off the marked trail.
Personal items at the scene led deputies to believe the body was that of Delorme, 48, who was reported missing Aug. 1. The cause of death is believed to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Deputies were waiting for dental records, but confirmed that the body was Delorme on Tuesday.
Deputies had conducted eight searches on foot, horseback, and ATVs in search of Delorme.
- Vehicles, building hit by bullets in Fitchburg
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm