MADISON, Wis. - There was a hearing Wednesday concerning a bill that would change the tenant-landlord relationship in Wisconsin.
One component of Senate Bill 179 says insect infestation could now be the responsibility of the tenant, not the landlord.
Judith Meister of Fitchburg is concerned about the bill because bedbugs infested her apartment and her landlord had her pay the $2,400 remediation bill.
"It seems to shift more power to the landlords and even less to the tenants," said Meister. "I'm concerned for other senior citizens."
Supporters argue the bill levels the legal playing field between parties.
Opponents say the bill's language removes tenant's rights.
- State manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Man scammed out of $4,300 by person claiming to be grandson
- Man stabs girlfriend in neck with scissors, police say
- Fremont woman accused in boyfriend's fatal stabbing is acquitted
- East Towne Mall employee attacked, robbed
- Woman arrested, suspected of abducting her kids