MADISON, Wis. - The Horribly Hilly Hundreds bicycle event may cause traffic delays this weekend, according to a statement from the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
The event will start at Blue Mounds State Park on Saturday at 6:45 a.m., according to a release. The yearly event draws nearly 1,000 participants.
Bikers follow a narrow route that can create numerous blind spots, and make traffic throughout the route congested and slow moving, according to the release.
Dane County sheriff's deputies will be providing assistance and traffic control for the event to help ensure that both the cyclists and motorists obey all traffic laws and the event is safe.
The Horribly Hilly Hundreds is the same day as Breakfast on the Farm, which may cause additional congestion on rural roads Saturday morning, according to the statement. Many residents may be headed to Breakfast on the Farm at the Zander Dairy Farm on Windy Lane in Mt. Horeb. Breakfast on the Farm begins at 7:30 a.m. and runs until noon.
The sheriff's office is asking motorists to avoid taking County Road J on their way to Windy Lane, as that is where the bike traffic will be. Instead officials suggest taking County Road S southbound to Witte Road, or continue south on Highway 78 to County Road S.
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue