FITCHBURG, Wis. - Fitchburg police said a bicyclist was seriously injured in a crash with a semitrailer Tuesday afternoon.
Police said they responded to a crash about 1:45 p.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Highway 18/151 and Williamsburg Way.
Investigators determined that a semitrailer was traveling southbound on Highway 18/151 when the driver, Matthew Linsmeyer of Mayville, failed to obey the traffic signal and drove into the path of a bicyclist, who was traveling east through the intersection, according to a Fitchburg Police Department news release.
The bicyclist, a 23-year-old Derek Preston of Madison, was wearing a helmet and sustained serious, life-threatening head injuries, police said.
Preston was transported to an area hospital.
The crash remains under investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is asked to contact the Fitchburg Police Department at 608-270-4300.
Fitchburg police said that the intersection, which had been closed following the crash, was reopened just before 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas
- 2 on moped injured in downtown Madison crash, officials say
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Ag secretary to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers