FITCHBURG, Wis. - Fitchburg police said a bicyclist was seriously injured in a crash with a semitrailer Tuesday afternoon.
Police said they responded to a crash about 1:45 p.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Highway 18/151 and Williamsburg Way.
Investigators determined that a semitrailer was traveling southbound on Highway 18/151 when the driver, Matthew Linsmeyer of Mayville, failed to obey the traffic signal and drove into the path of a bicyclist, who was traveling east through the intersection, according to a Fitchburg Police Department news release.
The bicyclist, a 23-year-old Derek Preston of Madison, was wearing a helmet and sustained serious, life-threatening head injuries, police said.
Preston was transported to an area hospital.
The crash remains under investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is asked to contact the Fitchburg Police Department at 608-270-4300.
Fitchburg police said that the intersection, which had been closed following the crash, was reopened just before 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- Majority of Superior shipyard workers test positive for lead
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out