BERLIN, Wis. - Berlin High School is looking for a new mascot.
The school district will drop the Indians name and logo, despite a long battle to keep them. A 1962 Berlin High School graduate petitioned the school district to change the mascot in 2011.
The state superintendent ordered Berlin to stop using the Indians nickname and logo which depicts a man in an Indian headdress. WLUK-TV reported a lawsuit challenging the removal of the Indian nickname was dropped earlier this week.
Signs with the Indian name and logo will soon come down at the high school gym. Warrior spears will be removed from the football players' helmets.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1