BERLIN, Wis. - Berlin High School is looking for a new mascot.
The school district will drop the Indians name and logo, despite a long battle to keep them. A 1962 Berlin High School graduate petitioned the school district to change the mascot in 2011.
The state superintendent ordered Berlin to stop using the Indians nickname and logo which depicts a man in an Indian headdress. WLUK-TV reported a lawsuit challenging the removal of the Indian nickname was dropped earlier this week.
Signs with the Indian name and logo will soon come down at the high school gym. Warrior spears will be removed from the football players' helmets.
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet
- Attempt to drill into SUV gas tank ignites fuel, MFD says
- New Glarus man stopped for expired vehicle registration faces 6th OWI
- Man robbed at gunpoint in parking lot, police say
- Bicyclist injured in collision with Buick, fire officials say
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing