ANTIOCH, Ill. - Authorities said a Benedictine monk from southern Wisconsin has been charged with trying to abduct an Illinois teenager.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported that 57-year-old Thomas Chmura was arrested last week.
He was charged with attempted child abduction and disorderly conduct and ordered held in lieu of $50,000 bail Saturday.
Police alleged the 14-year-old was walking in the northern Illinois community of Antioch when a man in a station wagon asked if she needed a ride. The girl ran and he drove off.
The teen recounted the description of the man and car to police. Chmura was arrested Friday.
He's been living at St. Benedict's Abbey in Benet Lake, Wis., for more than three decades.
It was immediately unclear if he has an attorney. Messages left at St. Benedict's weren't returned.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls