MADISON, Wis. - One of the most popular animals at the Henry Vilas Zoo has died from cancer.
The 16-year-old lion, named Vilas, died after cancer spread from her mammaries to her lymph nodes.
She came to the zoo in 1997, along with a male lion, Henry.
Vilas had eight cubs, including her most recent, Leo, who was born in December 2010, and is still at the zoo.
Zookeepers are now working to find a new female lion to be with Henry.
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Madison cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case