MADISON, Wis. - One of the most popular animals at the Henry Vilas Zoo has died from cancer.
The 16-year-old lion, named Vilas, died after cancer spread from her mammaries to her lymph nodes.
She came to the zoo in 1997, along with a male lion, Henry.
Vilas had eight cubs, including her most recent, Leo, who was born in December 2010, and is still at the zoo.
Zookeepers are now working to find a new female lion to be with Henry.
- Dane County deputies shut down Bratfest carnival
- Police investigate bomb threat at Madison library
- Extra Janesville officers on patrol for 'Click It or Ticket' enforcement
- Diabetics feeling pinch as insulin prices rise 8 percent
- Police: occupants of both cars in hit-and-run flee scene
- Officials identify two men killed in Sheboygan plane crash