MADISON, Wis. - One of the most popular animals at the Henry Vilas Zoo has died from cancer.
The 16-year-old lion, named Vilas, died after cancer spread from her mammaries to her lymph nodes.
She came to the zoo in 1997, along with a male lion, Henry.
Vilas had eight cubs, including her most recent, Leo, who was born in December 2010, and is still at the zoo.
Zookeepers are now working to find a new female lion to be with Henry.
- Madison police recommend charges in fatal Highway 30 crash
- Deputies: Dane County inmate goes AWOL
- Accidental Goodwill donation makes its way back to owner
- Crews sent to 3-car crash on East Washington Avenue
- Car accident on eastbound beltline backs up traffic
- Newly renovated Milton Public Library reopens