BELOIT, Wis. - The Beloit Fire Department responded to a residential fire Monday night, according to a release.
Officials responded to 2059 Lennox Ave. to reports of heavy smoke and fire showing at 3:44 p.m., according to the release.
There were four children and one adult in the home at the time but all occupants were evacuated when responders got to the scene, according to the release.
Officials said the fire originated in a second-floor bedroom after a child started the fire with matches.
Fire damage to the first and second level, and smoke damage throughout the house is estimated to have caused $35,000 in structure damage and $5,000 in home content damage, according to the release.
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral