MENOMONIE, Wis. - It'll be a prom to remember for a special western Wisconsin high school student.
Menomonie High School junior Charlie Gainey, who has Down syndrome, has been nominated by his classmates to this year's prom court.
Gainey told WKOW-TV he's excited and it doesn't matter if he's king or not, "all that matters is the dancing and having a great time."
Even more exciting for Gainey is his special date: Miss Minnesota USA Danielle Hooper. She's a student at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. The two met for the first time Friday. She wore her tiara and sash.
Hooper said she didn't have a prom court at her high school, so it'll be a special opportunity for her too.
Gainey said he'll have a great time with his new friend.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says