MENOMONIE, Wis. - It'll be a prom to remember for a special western Wisconsin high school student.
Menomonie High School junior Charlie Gainey, who has Down syndrome, has been nominated by his classmates to this year's prom court.
Gainey told WKOW-TV he's excited and it doesn't matter if he's king or not, "all that matters is the dancing and having a great time."
Even more exciting for Gainey is his special date: Miss Minnesota USA Danielle Hooper. She's a student at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. The two met for the first time Friday. She wore her tiara and sash.
Hooper said she didn't have a prom court at her high school, so it'll be a special opportunity for her too.
Gainey said he'll have a great time with his new friend.
- Stoughton man critical after rollover crash
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'