TOWN OF GENESSE, Wis. - A fire at a game farm and hunt club in Waukesha County has destroyed a barn and killed hundreds of pheasants.
The fire at the Wern Valley Pheasant Farm in the Town of Genesee started shortly before 3 a.m. Tuesday. It destroyed one barn and damaged a second.
Riley Williams is with Wern Valley Sportsmen's Club. She says 600 pheasant chicks were killed. She says the fire may have been caused by a heater in the aging barn, and there's no immediate indication of foul play. Authorities say they're investigating heaters as a possible source of the fire.
Williams says about the farm still has about 10,000 pheasants, and business is expected to continue as usual.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need