TOWN OF GENESSE, Wis. - A fire at a game farm and hunt club in Waukesha County has destroyed a barn and killed hundreds of pheasants.
The fire at the Wern Valley Pheasant Farm in the Town of Genesee started shortly before 3 a.m. Tuesday. It destroyed one barn and damaged a second.
Riley Williams is with Wern Valley Sportsmen's Club. She says 600 pheasant chicks were killed. She says the fire may have been caused by a heater in the aging barn, and there's no immediate indication of foul play. Authorities say they're investigating heaters as a possible source of the fire.
Williams says about the farm still has about 10,000 pheasants, and business is expected to continue as usual.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns