TOWN OF SPRING GROVE, Wis. - A 26-year-old from Monroe suffered injuries after a bar from a truck bed cover hit their vehicle's windshield and then hit the driver in the head, police said.
Green County emergency crews responded to reports of a vehicle crash in the W2300 block of South Highway 11/81 west of County Road K in the town of Spring Grove, according to a release.
A vehicle, owned and operated by Melissa M. Fischer, 45, of South Beloit, Illinois, was eastbound on Highway 11/81 when her pickup truck bed cover and supports detached from the vehicle due to strong winds, police said. The truck bed cover and supports flew into the air and hit a westbound vehicle.
The westbound vehicle was being driven by Jamie J. Muniz, 26, of Monroe, according to the release. The cover and supports hit the front end of the Muniz's vehicle causing severe front end damage.
A 3-foot support bar from the cover hit the vehicle's windshield, went into the vehicle, and hit Muniz in the head, police said.
Fischer was the only occupant in her vehicle, according to the release. She was wearing her seat belt and was not injured. Her vehicle was not damaged.
Muniz was the only occupant in the vehicle, and Muniz was properly restrained, police said. Muniz was transported by Monroe EMS for medical treatment.
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 reopens near Blue Mounds after semi vs. car crash
- Police: Family member found elderly woman dead in garage with head wound