ALGOMA TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A balloon launched in Iowa by a Wisconsin man to capture images from high in the atmosphere ended up crash landing in a Michigan tree.
MLive.com reported John Flaig, 37, of Milwaukee launched the balloon earlier this month from Calmar, Iowa.
The weather balloon was rigged with a video camera and still-frame cameras. Flaig expected the balloon to return to the ground near Milwaukee, but instead it ended up across Lake Michigan in a tree in Kent County's Algoma Township, about 20 miles northeast of Grand Rapids.
Flaig tracked the progress of the balloon, which had a GPS device. He got the cameras back and posted photos captured from the balloon online.
He said in an email the images are "even more amazing" than he expected.Balloon launched in Iowa ends up in Michigan
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral