ALGOMA TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A balloon launched in Iowa by a Wisconsin man to capture images from high in the atmosphere ended up crash landing in a Michigan tree.
MLive.com reported John Flaig, 37, of Milwaukee launched the balloon earlier this month from Calmar, Iowa.
The weather balloon was rigged with a video camera and still-frame cameras. Flaig expected the balloon to return to the ground near Milwaukee, but instead it ended up across Lake Michigan in a tree in Kent County's Algoma Township, about 20 miles northeast of Grand Rapids.
Flaig tracked the progress of the balloon, which had a GPS device. He got the cameras back and posted photos captured from the balloon online.
He said in an email the images are "even more amazing" than he expected.Balloon launched in Iowa ends up in Michigan
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls