Local News

Autopsy: Victim killed by edged weapon

Victim, estranged husband found dead in apparent murder-suicide

MADISON, Wis. - The Dane County Medical Examiner has confirmed that the death of a Madison woman was a result of injuries from an edged weapon.

Jennifer Boyce, 31, was found dead in her apartment in the 6800 block of Milwaukee Street around 10:35 a.m. Thursday after what police believe is a murder-suicide. According to a statement by the county's medical examiner, a forensic autopsy revealed that Boyce died from injuries from an edged weapon.

Additional tests are still under way, the statement said.

Boyce's estranged husband, Bernard Grosso, 34, died of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Madison police.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said police believe Boyce was killed after midnight early Wednesday morning.

Friends and family say they didn't see it coming.

"The entire community is just in shock and I think we're still dealing with that shock, and it will take a long time for us to make sense of it," said Kyle Larson, owner of Endurance House, the east side athletic store where Boyce led evening runs.

Police entered and searched Grosso's home in the 3800 block of Atwood Avenue with a SWAT team after finding Boyce.

"We had gleaned information late yesterday that our suspect in this case was likely armed, so we did go in with the SWAT team with a search warrant last night," DeSpain said.

Police said a loaded assault rifle and another firearm were recovered from the home.

There is no record of disputes between the two, according to police. They said some neighbors heard noises from Boyce's apartment Wedneday morning but didn't call police.

The couple was due in court Friday to finalize a divorce.

Madison's forensic team continued collecting evidence from the victim's home Thursday evening.

Investigators have been focusing on a first-floor patio door that was shattered.

Boyce was working as an epidemiologist at the state Division of Public Health.

Her family spoke with WISC-TV by phone from their Ballwin, Mo., home, and said they learned about Boyce's death from local detectives around dinner time.

Her stepmother, Dixie Boyce, said she doesn't believe the homicide was a random act. She said Jennifer Boyce moved into the apartment six months ago.

"(I am in) shock. We can't really believe it; I mean, these things happen on TV, they don't happen to us," Boyce said. "We're middle-class, normal Americans, and she was a nice girl."

Jennifer Boyce's father, Don Boyce, said he knew about Grosso's purchase of an assault rifle two weeks ago, but neither he nor Jennifer was concerned with the purchase.

He said he did not know if the weapon was used on his daughter, and added that he was waiting on the release of Jennifer's completed autopsy.

Dixie Boyce said Jennifer competed in the Ironman triathlon in Madison.

"She was very athletic and got real involved in sports and training for the Ironman, and she needed an outlet," Dixie Boyce said.

It's Madison's first homicide of 2013.

Local And Regional News

Photo Galleries

E-News Registration

This Week's Circulars