MADISON/RICHLAND COUNTY, Wis. - Authorities are seeking information from people who donated to a benefit account for a woman claiming to have cancer.
The Richland County Sheriff's Department said in a notice Thursday that detectives from several agencies are conducting an investigation into the Theresa Strub Benefit Account.
Richland County Sheriff's Department said the Sauk County Sheriff's Department, Spring Green police and the Department of Criminal Investigation are working together on the case.
According to a questionnaire for donors, at least three fundraisers were held for Strub including one at a supper club in Spring Green and another through an online fundraising website.
Director of communications for GiveForward.com, Nate St. Pierre, told News 3 there was a page set up for Strub on the site but could not confirm Saturday how much money the page raised.
In the Richland County Sheriff's Department questionnaire, donors are asked, "If you had known that Theresa S. Strub's cancer claims were false/misleading, would you have donated the money/item?"
Two sources told News 3 that Strub began telling them she was diagnosed with stomach cancer nearly two years ago.
Sauk County Lt. Terry Spencer told News 3 Saturday that Strub may not have cancer.
"There may be some fraudulent intentions on her part that people may have fallen into giving money to her account that may not be true or accurate," Spencer said.
Authorities asked anyone who donated to Strub's cause to contact one of the following:
- Spring Green Police Department at 608-588-2125
- Sauk County Sheriff's Department at 608-355-3202
- Richland County Sheriff's Department at 608-647-2106 (ext. 215 or 216)
- Lt. Bob Frank at email@example.com
- Lt. Dan Krueger at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms