MADISON, Wis. - Authorities identified the man who was found dead Friday afternoon in a north side park by a group of school kids.
The Dane County Medical Examiner said Saturday that it was the body of Calvin Ewing, 55, of Madison, found in the Warner Park lagoon. According to the medical examiner's office, Ewing likely drowned.
Madison police said emergency crews were called to the area at 1:41 p.m. when eighth-grade students from Sherman Middle School on a field trip at the park spotted the body floating in the water.
Ewing was found fully clothed about eight feet offshore west of the shelter house.
Police said Friday there were no obvious signs of foul play.
The medical examiner said additional testing was underway and the official ruling on the cause of death is pending.
The case is still under investigation, authorities said.
A letter from the school was sent home with Sherman Middle School students Friday to alert parents. The letter said staff is available for students or to answer questions from parents.VIDEO Body found in Warner Park lagoon
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Police questioning suspect in Middleton homicide
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two