ELLSWORTH, Wis. - Authorities said a man who was found dead in a burned car in western Wisconsin was stuck in a snow bank when the vehicle caught fire.
A statement from the Pierce County Sheriff's Department on Monday said 46-year-old Jeffrey Dennis Matthews, of Hager City, was driving on his parents' property near Hager City.
Sheriff's officials said the evidence shows Matthews was turning around when his car became stuck.
Family members told investigators Matthews would have remained in the vehicle and waited for help since overnight temperatures were in the teens. But at some point a fire started in the engine compartment and Matthews never got out.
His car was found Saturday morning after the fire was out.
Nobody lives on the property, but there are storage buildings there.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire