TOWNSHIP OF CENTER, Wis. - Authorities have released the name of an 89-year-old man who drowned in a private pond north of Appleton.
Outagamie County Coroner Ruth Wulgaert said Bryce Spoehr drowned after his all-terrain vehicle plunged through the ice.
Divers from the sheriff's department recovered Spoehr's body and an ATV equipped with a plow from Spoehr's property in Center on Thursday. The Post-Crescent reported authorities think Spoehr was clearing snow from the frozen pond for recreational purposes.
Authorities don't know when Spoehr went into the water. Family members called them to check on Spoehr because they had not had contact with him since Wednesday.
The coroner said the death will be ruled accidental.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land