TOWNSHIP OF CENTER, Wis. - Authorities have released the name of an 89-year-old man who drowned in a private pond north of Appleton.
Outagamie County Coroner Ruth Wulgaert said Bryce Spoehr drowned after his all-terrain vehicle plunged through the ice.
Divers from the sheriff's department recovered Spoehr's body and an ATV equipped with a plow from Spoehr's property in Center on Thursday. The Post-Crescent reported authorities think Spoehr was clearing snow from the frozen pond for recreational purposes.
Authorities don't know when Spoehr went into the water. Family members called them to check on Spoehr because they had not had contact with him since Wednesday.
The coroner said the death will be ruled accidental.
- Funding is available to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas