TOWNSHIP OF CENTER, Wis. - Authorities have released the name of an 89-year-old man who drowned in a private pond north of Appleton.
Outagamie County Coroner Ruth Wulgaert said Bryce Spoehr drowned after his all-terrain vehicle plunged through the ice.
Divers from the sheriff's department recovered Spoehr's body and an ATV equipped with a plow from Spoehr's property in Center on Thursday. The Post-Crescent reported authorities think Spoehr was clearing snow from the frozen pond for recreational purposes.
Authorities don't know when Spoehr went into the water. Family members called them to check on Spoehr because they had not had contact with him since Wednesday.
The coroner said the death will be ruled accidental.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says