MADISON, Wis. - A man on an ATV was rescued when his vehicle broke through the ice on Lake Waubesa Monday morning, according to the Madison Fire Department.
The man said he was on the lake ice fishing when his ATV broke through the ice while he was riding it about 500 feet from shore. He was able to call 911, and his ATV had floatation devices to keep it afloat.
The Madison Fire Department Scuba Team used special equipment and an ice sled to bring the man to shore and the ATV was retrieved from the lake.
Madison fire officials said floatation devices for vehicles aren't required on Lake Waubesa, but Dane County ordinances require the devices on some lakes and vehicles.
- State DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Sun Prairie looks to revamp main corridor
- Zoo euthanizes polar bear that used to be in Madison
- Driver involved in crash suspected of heroin use
- Two people shot at while in car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested