MADISON, Wis. - A man on an ATV was rescued when his vehicle broke through the ice on Lake Waubesa Monday morning, according to the Madison Fire Department.
The man said he was on the lake ice fishing when his ATV broke through the ice while he was riding it about 500 feet from shore. He was able to call 911, and his ATV had floatation devices to keep it afloat.
The Madison Fire Department Scuba Team used special equipment and an ice sled to bring the man to shore and the ATV was retrieved from the lake.
Madison fire officials said floatation devices for vehicles aren't required on Lake Waubesa, but Dane County ordinances require the devices on some lakes and vehicles.
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game