MUSCODA, Wis. - At least 10 students were taken to hospitals after a possible gas leak at the high school in Muscoda Friday afternoon, according an official at Riverdale High School.
Riverdale High School was evacuated. Students were sent to a nearby elementary and middle school.
Ten to 12 students fell ill. Fire officials said two to three students passed out. The incident started at 1 p.m.
A hazmat team from Galena, Illinois was asked to come to the scene, according to district officials. Ambulance crews from nearby communities were called to assist at the scene.
The source of the gas or chemical is not yet known. School officials said many of the ill students were near the science classrooms.
There are 150 students who attend the school.
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles
- Woman pinned in van after crash with ambulance on Hwy. 12
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter