State Rep. Robin Vos of Burlington is expected to be elected as the next speaker of the state Assembly when Republicans meet to choose their leaders for the next session.
Both Assembly Republicans and Democrats are meeting separately on Tuesday to elect their leaders for the session that begins in January.
No one has announced that they plan to challenge Vos as speaker, Rep. Scott Suder as majority leader or Rep. Bill Kramer as speaker pro tempore, the person in charge of presiding over the Assembly. Both Suder and Kramer served in those positions last session. Vos would take over for Jeff Fitzgerald, who ran for the U.S. Senate instead of seeking re-election.
On the Democratic side, Rep. Peter Barca of Kenosha is expected to be re-elected as minority leader.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets