MADISON, Wis. - Two committees in the state Assembly next year will have bipartisan co-chairs.
Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos announced the unusual move on Tuesday.
Vos says that the State and Federal Relations Committee along with the Constitution and Ethics Committee will be chaired by both Republicans and Democrats.
Republican Rep. Travis Tranel and Democratic Rep. Leon Young will co-chair the State and Federal Relations Committee. Republican Rep. Chris Kapenga and Democratic Rep. Jill Billings will co-chair the Constitution and Ethics Committee.
Vos said this is the first time since 1995 that Assembly committees had chairs from both parties. That year, the Assembly was under Republican control but a Democrat was appointed chair of the Urban Education Committee.
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike