MADISON, Wis. - A Madison man was arrested on suspicion of first-degree sexual assault for a sexual assault near the University of Wisconsin campus last week.
Police said Marcus T. Boone, 27, was identified because of a good description provided by the victim which was used to search surveillance video from downtown cameras.
A 21-year-old woman told police the assault occurred early Wednesday morning in a parking lot at Fahrenbrook Court while she was walking home from an evening with friends in the State Street area.
Officers worked undercover looking for a suspect and trying to determine his identity. They also used surveillance video from various downtown locations.
"In using the video that was out there we were able to find an individual and track his movements to some degree," Madison Police Department Joel DeSpain said. "We were able to identify him as a possible suspect based on what the victim had told us the person that attacked her looked like."
Police said Boone was contacted and agreed to meet with police, which led to his arrest.
More details about the case are expected to be released in a criminal complaint.Madison crime map
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls