NEW GLARUS, Wis. - New Glarus schools were on "non-emergency lockdown" Wednesday afternoon after authorities contacted the district about an incident within the vicinity of the schools, according to a principal at one of the schools.
The New Glarus Police Department responded to a possible suicidal subject in the 10 block of 14th Avenue, according to a release.
Officials said based on initial information it was unknown if the subject was armed.
The location of the possible suicidal subject was directly across the street from the New Glarus Elementary School, according to the release.
Officials say the playground was full of children so the New Glarus Police Department requested the elementary school be placed on lockdown.
New Glarus police forced entry into the residence and found the subject deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to the release.
Officials say the emergency lockdown was terminated after police determined there was no danger to the community.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program