MADISON, Wis. - The Wisconsin Court of Appeals has upheld the conviction of a Brookfield man convicted of killing his girlfriend, burning the remains and stuffing them under the ice of Lake Winnebago.
Brandon Mueller is serving a life sentence for the 2009 murder of Renee Redmer.
Mueller appealed, arguing his attorney was ineffective for not presenting the option of pleading guilty or no contest to the mutilation charge to improve his odds of convincing the jury that Redmer's killing was not intentional.
WLUK-TV reported the appeals court rejected that argument Wednesday.
During his trial Mueller admitted burning Redmer's body in a barrel but denied causing her death.
He said he wrapped his hands around her neck because she grew angry after he had flushed her drugs down the toilet.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash