TOWN OF MADISON, Wis. - One person was taken to the hospital after a fire started by a candle caused damage to an apartment building in the town of Madison Thursday morning, according to town of Madison fire officials.
Firefighters were called to a 16-unit apartment building at 2604 Pheasant Ridge at 6:37 a.m. When they arrived they found a bedroom on the first floor fully involved with fire coming out the window.
An occupant who tried to put out the fire before calling the fire department was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries. All other occupants escaped safely.
Fire officials said the fire was caused candle with combustible materials placed on top of the candle. The building and contents sustained $22,000 in damage. There were no operating smoke detectors in the apartment where the fire started.
- Sheriff: Man driving 30 mph over speed limit was drunk
- Stoughton woman faces 5th OWI charge
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Town of Janesville man faces 6th OWI
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000