MANITOWC, Wis. - Manitowoc police say a Craigslist ad offering to sell a 4-year-old boy for $1,000 turned out to be a teenager's joke.
Authorities took the ad seriously when it was placed last week. By the time police got a call from a woman about the ad, it had been removed from Craigslist. But the caller helped detectives contact the suspect.
Detectives became even more concerned when the suspect said the boy had been sold for $1,200 but he would be able to acquire another child.
Police traced the computer to Roncalli High School and a 17-year-old student who posted the ad in class as a joke.
Police say the boy apologized. The Herald Times Reporter says police issued a $681 ordinance citation for disorderly conduct rather than a criminal charge.
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two