MANITOWC, Wis. - Manitowoc police say a Craigslist ad offering to sell a 4-year-old boy for $1,000 turned out to be a teenager's joke.
Authorities took the ad seriously when it was placed last week. By the time police got a call from a woman about the ad, it had been removed from Craigslist. But the caller helped detectives contact the suspect.
Detectives became even more concerned when the suspect said the boy had been sold for $1,200 but he would be able to acquire another child.
Police traced the computer to Roncalli High School and a 17-year-old student who posted the ad in class as a joke.
Police say the boy apologized. The Herald Times Reporter says police issued a $681 ordinance citation for disorderly conduct rather than a criminal charge.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart