BEAVER DAM, Wis. - A 9-year-old transported by Flight for Life Friday after he was injured in a crash in Beaver Dam has died from his injuries, officials say.
The Dodge County Sheriff's Office said Lee Hendricksen, 67, of Fox Lake, was driving a semitrailer south on County Road A at 4 p.m. Hendricksen's semi failed to slow for a 2010 Honda hatchback traveling in the same direction about to turn onto Indian Hills Trail in front of the semi. The semi struck the rear of the Honda, driven by 45-year-old Judith Haddad of Lindenhurst, Illinois.
Haddad's vehicle was forced into an oncoming traffic lane where it struck a car driven by 31-year-old Jennifer Polenska, of Waupun, according to the report.
The passenger in the Honda, 9-year-old Ilan Hurtado, of Lindenhurst, suffered severe injuries and was flown to UW Hospital by medical helicopter, the sheriff's office said. He later died from his injuries.
Haddad was also flown by helicopter for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
Polenska was taken to Beaver Dam Hospital, then transferred to UW Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.
Henricksen was not injured in the crash.
It wasn't clear in the report if any of the people involved were wearing seat belts or if airbags deployed.
The sheriff's office said the crash remains under investigation by the Dodge County Crash Investigation Team.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes