BURLINGTON, Wis. - More than 80 fire departments are battling an eight-alarm fire at a factory in southeastern Wisconsin.
The fire at the Echo Lake Foods processing plant in Burlington has been raging since 6 p.m. Wednesday. Burlington Mayor Bob Miller said the plant was evacuated safely. He also said there are no injuries either to employees or firefighters at this point.
At an early morning news conference Thursday, Miller said police have evacuated 10 homes in the area and one apartment building.
Hazardous materials handlers are at the scene because the plant has ammonia and liquid oxygen tanks. Miller said the area where the hazardous materials are stored has been secured.
With temperatures around 15 above, firefighters from a number of area counties are being rotated in to fight the fire.
Echo Lakes Foods produces eggs and egg products, as well as other breakfast products.
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says
- Man pulls gun during road rage incident, police say