OSHKOSH, Wis. - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources said a total of 567 sturgeon were harvested during the 2013 spear season -- and 39 of them weighed over 100 pounds.
The sturgeon season ended Sunday.
WLUK-TV reported that this year's total is just one more fish than harvested in 2012, when 566 sturgeon were registered.
A total of 306 sturgeon were taken on Lake Winnebago, and 9.5 percent of those speared on Winnebago weighed more than 100 pounds. The DNR said that's a record.
Final totals on Lake Winnebago for the 2013 season were: 30 juvenile females, 131 adult females, and 145 males. The numbers speared were well below the cap.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program