OSHKOSH, Wis. - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources said a total of 567 sturgeon were harvested during the 2013 spear season -- and 39 of them weighed over 100 pounds.
The sturgeon season ended Sunday.
WLUK-TV reported that this year's total is just one more fish than harvested in 2012, when 566 sturgeon were registered.
A total of 306 sturgeon were taken on Lake Winnebago, and 9.5 percent of those speared on Winnebago weighed more than 100 pounds. The DNR said that's a record.
Final totals on Lake Winnebago for the 2013 season were: 30 juvenile females, 131 adult females, and 145 males. The numbers speared were well below the cap.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire