TOWN OF MONTROSE, Wis. - A 50-year-old man was killed in an SUV rollover crash in Dane County early Saturday, officials said.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office said police and paramedics responded at 1:45 a.m. to a report of a wreck at the intersection of Highway 69 and Country Road A in the town of Montrose.
The sheriff's office said a 2007 Toyota SUV was headed north on Highway 69 when it wasn't able to negotiate the curve and went into the ditch.
The vehicle rolled multiple times and struck several trees. Both occupants were wearing seat belts and were pinned in the vehicle. The driver, a 52-year-old man from Madison, was extricated from the vehicle. He had serious, but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported via EMS to a local hospital.
Officials said the passenger, a 50-year-old from Madison, died at the scene.
The sheriff's office said excessive speed and alcohol appeared to be factors in the crash.
Preliminary charges for the driver will include homicide by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle, according to the report. The name of the man killed was withheld Saturday pending notification to family.
Sheriff's deputies, Verona police, Belleville police and Belleville Fire and EMS responded to the crash.
This crash remains under investigation.
- Baldwin, other senators seek assurances from Trump pick for EPA
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowski traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say