JANESVILLE, Wis. - Five people were arrested Wednesday when a drug deal turned into an armed robbery, Janesville police said.
Around 12:35 p.m. officers were dispatched to the area of Balmoral and Glenbarr drives for an unknown problem, according to a release. A man called 911 and an argument could be overheard.
While officers were on the way to the area, information was gathered that there was a robbery in progress, officials said. One of the robbers was armed with a knife. The victim eventually told the dispatcher that five people attacked him and took his money.
Police ended up at a residence in the 4000 block of Markham Drive, and five people were detained, according to the release.
Three juvenile boys and two adult men were involved in a drug transaction with the victim, investigators said. There was a dispute over the transaction and eventually the robbers took $1,100, a cellphone and a watch.
Five suspects, including Edward L. Toyer, 17, of Janesville, and Antonio C. Winters, 17, of Madison, were charged with party to a crime of robbery and are in custody, police said.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says