CROSS PLAINS, Wis. - A Mt. Horeb man was killed Wednesday morning in a three-vehicle crash on Highway 14 near Stagecoach Road in the town of Cross Plains.
Just after 7 a.m., Dane County Sheriff's Department said deputies, along with Middleton police and Cross Plains fire and police, responded to the scene.
According to the report, a VW Jetta operated by Caitlyn O'Brien, 19, of Cross Plains, was traveling eastbound on Highway 14 when she rear-ended a 1997 Ford Explorer. The Explorer was pushed into the westbound lane, where it was struck by a semi.
Spokeswoman for the sheriff's office, Elise Schaffer, said the 44-year-old man driving the Ford Explorer was killed in the crash.
The semi driver, James David, 58, of Wind Lake, Wis., was not injured. Schaffer said in a news release the driver deputies believe to be at fault, O'Brien, was transported to UW Hospital with minor injuries.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation, authorities said.
The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office identified the victim who died as David W. Seymour.
Highway 14 was closed for six miles between Pleasant View Road and County Road P. The road was closed until 1:30 p.m.
Schaffer said the sheriff's department is requesting that anyone who witnessed the crash call the tip line at 608-284-6900.18997776
- Dane County plans to buy land to make Capital City State Trail safer
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Hilldale Mall launches redevelopment of south side
- State unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Expect traffic delays in downtown Madison for Women's March Saturday
- Police arrest suspected heroin dealers, seize 3 guns, $28K cash