APPLETON, Wis. - Four families have reached a settlement with the Appleton Area School District over allegations a former special education teacher abused their children.
Superintendent Lee Allinger declined to say how much the families received. But he told The Post-Crescent the costs were covered by the district's insurer.
The case involved Mary Berglund, who formerly taught at Janet Berry Elementary School. She was placed on probation for three years in 2011 in after pleading no contest to five misdemeanor battery charges.
In February 2012, the six families filed a civil lawsuit against the district, Berglund, Allinger, and the principal.
The district and Berglund have filed motions asking a judge find in their favor in the case pertaining to the remaining two families. It's scheduled for trial Sept. 16.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns