APPLETON, Wis. - Four families have reached a settlement with the Appleton Area School District over allegations a former special education teacher abused their children.
Superintendent Lee Allinger declined to say how much the families received. But he told The Post-Crescent the costs were covered by the district's insurer.
The case involved Mary Berglund, who formerly taught at Janet Berry Elementary School. She was placed on probation for three years in 2011 in after pleading no contest to five misdemeanor battery charges.
In February 2012, the six families filed a civil lawsuit against the district, Berglund, Allinger, and the principal.
The district and Berglund have filed motions asking a judge find in their favor in the case pertaining to the remaining two families. It's scheduled for trial Sept. 16.
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls
- UW study uses video games to help smokers quit
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors