LAKE MILLS, Wis. - A 3-year-old child was injured Thursday afternoon in a rollover crash on Interstate 94 near Lake Mills, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department.
In a news release, the department said a white SUV passed several vehicles quickly in the left lane before hitting rumble strips on the left side of the road, over-correcting and rolling over into the ditch.
Police said one of the vehicle's occupants, a young child, was ejected from the vehicle during the crash. That child was not wearing a seat belt, police said.
The driver of the SUV told police the child took off her seat belt while the vehicle was in motion. The child's mother in the front seat unbuckled her seat belt and turned around to re-belt the child, police said.
The driver told police he looked to see what was going on, then hit the rumble strips and over-corrected.
The 3-year-old was taken by MedFlight to a local hospital, police said. No information was available about her injuries other than she remained conscious the entire time.
Police said the child's mother was taken to a hospital by ambulance with injuries to the face and legs.
- Janesville police investigate first homicide since 2014
- Study shows Wisconsin poverty rate reached new low in 2015
- Jerry Kramer joins honor flight trip to help Vietnam veterans
- Brat Fest carnival to close early Sunday after late night fights
- Car rolls over into residential home's front lawn
- Fort Atkinson man arrested for sixth OWI