FITCHBURG, Wis. - The Fitchburg Police Department said officers responded to a three-vehicle traffic crash Friday afternoon in the northbound lanes of Highway 18-151, about a quarter mile south of Highway PD.
Police said a semi-tractor trailer unit had rear-ended a vehicle that was stopped in traffic, pushing that vehicle into a second stopped vehicle. The accident occurred at about 4:19 p.m., according to the Wisconsin State Patrol.
Three people were taken to local hospitals with non-life threatening injuries, according to the report.
Due to the time of day, the accident caused a major traffic backup.
Fitchburg police said the Verona Police Department assisted with traffic control, and due to a commercial motor vehicle being involved, the Wisconsin State Patrol assisted with the investigation.
Coincidentally, at approximately 4:50 p.m. there was a power outage in the area, causing further traffic congestion as traffic control signals were not functioning.
Police said the power outage was unrelated to the traffic crash.
The State Patrol said the accident happened at about 4:19 p.m. and the incident was cleared before 6 p.m.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry