FITCHBURG, Wis. - Three people are in custody and police are looking for a fourth person allegedly connected to a shooting in Fitchburg Wednesday afternoon.
Police responded to the 1900 block of Pike Drive shortly after 4 p.m. for multiple reports of shots fired, officials said.
Police believe there were at least two shooters, but four people fled the scene, Fitchburg police Lt. Todd Stetzer said. Three of the suspects fled on foot and have been taken into custody. A fourth person is believed to have fled in a small white vehicle.
Stetzer said anyone who sees someone who looks suspicious in a vehicle matching that description should not approach them because they could be armed. He is described as black, and was wearing a black jacket with white and red sleeves.
No weapons have been found, but several shell casings were found in the area, police said.
"At this point we are determining who had guns and who did not," Stetzer said. "It is too early to tell if everybody had firearms or one or two of the individuals."
There were no reported injuries at the scene, but a car was hit by gunfire, police said.
"The subjects knew each other, they had an ongoing dispute, and we're trying to investigate whether they are previous shootings that have happened throughout the Dane County area or elsewhere or if they were verbal disputes that escalated for the first time to shots being fired," Stetzer said.
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely understood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam