TOWN OF NEWARK, Wis. - Three dogs died in a fire that might have been started by a space heater, according to the Rock County Sheriff's Office.
Firefighters from seven departments were called to 12626 W. State Highway 81 in Newark Township at 8:28 p.m. Wednesday for a report of a residential fire. Everyone was able to escape unharmed.
Deputies said the initial investigation showed the fire started in the garage, and the fire is not suspicious.
The house and two vehicles parked in the garage were lost. Total damage is estimated at more than $100,000.
Traffic was rerouted on Highway 81 for more than four hours.
Firefighters from Orfordville, Evansville, Whitewater, Footville, Fitchburg, Brodhead, Shirland, Brooklyn, Janesville, Edgerton, and the town of Beloit along with Green County EMS, and MD-1 assisted at the scene.
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother