MADISON, Wis. - UW Hospital and Clinics' two Med Flight service helicopters will now provide 24-hour service.
Before Monday, only one of the two Med Flight helicopter was staffed from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. Both will now be on call during the overnight hours.
UW Hospital officials said there were 85 times in the last year when a second Med Flight helicopter could have been used between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m.
"I anticipate that the use of our second 24/7 helicopter will grow as more regional hospitals and emergency medical services know that there will be better Med Flight access during overnight hours," said Frank Erdman, critical care transport manager.
Two pilots, two nurses and two full-time equivalent physicians have been hired to staff the helicopter.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say