MADISON, Wis. - UW Hospital and Clinics' two Med Flight service helicopters will now provide 24-hour service.
Before Monday, only one of the two Med Flight helicopter was staffed from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. Both will now be on call during the overnight hours.
UW Hospital officials said there were 85 times in the last year when a second Med Flight helicopter could have been used between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m.
"I anticipate that the use of our second 24/7 helicopter will grow as more regional hospitals and emergency medical services know that there will be better Med Flight access during overnight hours," said Frank Erdman, critical care transport manager.
Two pilots, two nurses and two full-time equivalent physicians have been hired to staff the helicopter.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need