MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Police Department is investigating a fatal crash that claimed the life of a bicyclist Wednesday morning.
According to a report, a sergeant at the scene said the 20-year-old biker was pedaling north on South First Street when he collided with a small SUV that was driving outbound on East Washington Avenue.
Police said the bicyclist, who was wearing a helmet, was transported to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
"She's very crushed by what took place. At this point, we don't see any fault with what took place in her driving but we're still investigating," said Joel DeSpain, Madison police public information officer.
Alcohol is not believed to be a factor and no citations were issued to the woman driving the SUV.
Police said they do not have any witnesses and they are asking anyone who may have seen the crash to come forward.
It will be up to the Dane County Medical Examiner to release the name of the man, officials said.
- Woman accused of stabbing acquaintance turns herself in to police
- Victim tells police man who stabbed him frequently ‘mooches' from him
- Remains of 3 Ohio plane crash victims identified
- 29-year-old man dies from injuries suffered in Beloit fire
- Suspended UW-Madison student wants sex charges dismissed
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates