MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Police Department is investigating a fatal crash that claimed the life of a bicyclist Wednesday morning.
According to a report, a sergeant at the scene said the 20-year-old biker was pedaling north on South First Street when he collided with a small SUV that was driving outbound on East Washington Avenue.
Police said the bicyclist, who was wearing a helmet, was transported to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
"She's very crushed by what took place. At this point, we don't see any fault with what took place in her driving but we're still investigating," said Joel DeSpain, Madison police public information officer.
Alcohol is not believed to be a factor and no citations were issued to the woman driving the SUV.
Police said they do not have any witnesses and they are asking anyone who may have seen the crash to come forward.
It will be up to the Dane County Medical Examiner to release the name of the man, officials said.
- Madison police make arrest in robbery near Overture Center
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer