MADISON, Wis. - Police said two people are dead after a fatal wreck on Madison's north side Friday night.
The Madison Police Department said officers are investigating a crash that occurred on the 4400 block of Barby Lane. Officers arrived at the scene at about 11:30 p.m. and found that a car headed north on Barby Lane hit a parked, unoccupied vehicle.
The car continued north, hit the curb and left the road, striking a tree.
Police said one person died at the scene and a second person was taken to the hospital but later died from injuries suffered in the crash.
Officials identified the two people killed in the crash as Michael D. Payne, 37, and Amy M. Albright, 31, both of Madison.
Lt. Tim Strassman said reports of damage to the vehicle indicated speed was likely a factor in the crash. It wasn't clear if the occupants were wearing seat belts or if the vehicle had airbags deploy.
Strassman said it's unusual to for vehicles to travel at high rates of speed on residential streets like Barby Lane.
An autopsy revealed that Payne and Albright died of injuries they sustained in the crash, officials said.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land