MADISON, Wis. - Police said two people are dead after a fatal wreck on Madison's north side Friday night.
The Madison Police Department said officers are investigating a crash that occurred on the 4400 block of Barby Lane. Officers arrived at the scene at about 11:30 p.m. and found that a car headed north on Barby Lane hit a parked, unoccupied vehicle.
The car continued north, hit the curb and left the road, striking a tree.
Police said one person died at the scene and a second person was taken to the hospital but later died from injuries suffered in the crash.
Officials identified the two people killed in the crash as Michael D. Payne, 37, and Amy M. Albright, 31, both of Madison.
Lt. Tim Strassman said reports of damage to the vehicle indicated speed was likely a factor in the crash. It wasn't clear if the occupants were wearing seat belts or if the vehicle had airbags deploy.
Strassman said it's unusual to for vehicles to travel at high rates of speed on residential streets like Barby Lane.
An autopsy revealed that Payne and Albright died of injuries they sustained in the crash, officials said.
- No injuries reported in burst of afternoon gunfire in residential neighborhood
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'