STODDARD, Wis. - Two people are dead after a head-on collision on Highway 35 about two miles south of Stoddard near Riverview Court in the Town of Bergen, according to Vernon County Sheriff John Spears.
Sheriff Spears said a northbound vehicle, driven by 70-year-old Robert M. Williams of Stoddard, went to pass a vehicle in front of him and struck a southbound vehicle, driven by 55-year-old Margaret L. Springborn of rural DeSoto. The crash happened at about 3:20 p.m.
Springborn was transported to Gundersen Health System in La Crosse where she was later pronounced dead.
The sheriff says both victims were wearing their seat belts.
The highway was closed down for a few hours after the crash, but has since reopened.
Assisting the Vernon County Sheriff's Office was the Wisconsin State Patrol, Stoddard-Bergen Fire Department, Genoa-Harmony Fire Department, Stoddard EMS, Genoa EMS, and the Vernon County Coroner's Office.
The accident remains under investigation by the Vernon County Sheriff's Office and Wisconsin State Patrol.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire