BELOIT, Wis. - The city of Beloit and Beloit College have been awarded a grant from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to fund a Rock River riverwalk project, according to a release.
The $1,009,158 grant, provided as part of the Federal Transportation Alternatives Program, will extend riverside access to the outer walls of the planned redevelopment of the Alliant Energy's Blackhawk Generating Station, officials said. Beloit College plans to turn it into a waterfront activity and recreation center.
"We are thrilled to get this key piece of funding in place, which will further cement this facility's role as a city and college resource," Beloit College President Scott Bierman said in the release. "This will, in essence, help extend Riverside Park south and offer our community easier access to the river, the park and downtown Beloit."
Beloit City Manager Larry Arft said the city appreciate the DOT's support to help with the project.
- State at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- 15-year-old girl shot with BB gun at Elver Park
- Missing girl found in Fort Atkinson man's home; man faces federal kidnapping charges
- 2 seen fleeing scene of gunfire, crash, police say
- Prosecutor: Deputy was justified in shooting
- Man beaten, robbed outside apartment, police say