TOWN OF BELOIT, Wis. - Town of Beloit firefighters successfully evacuated a disabled woman, 14 birds, four dogs and two cats from a burning building late Thursday night, but they were unable to save the structure.
Firefighters were sent to the Rockvale Mobile Home Park off U.S. Highway 51 just before midnight Thursday.
When they arrived, firefighters quickly evacuated the disabled woman and her dogs from the trailer before fighting a fire in the ceiling of the kitchen.
As they continued to battle the blaze, other crews were able to rescue the birds, dogs and cats. The birds range in size from large exotic birds to lovebirds, according to the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin.
A vet said all the pets appear to be in good health.
The trailer is considered a total loss and is valued at $18,000. Damage to the contents inside is estimated to be $5,000.
The animals will stay at the shelter until the family is able to reclaim them.
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field
- Gun pointed at driver during road rage incident, deputies say
- Wisconsin family rescued from wave that throws them into tide pool
- New Zealand: Janesville doctor must pay for deadly crash
- Police: Crash leads to 4th OWI arrest
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street