VERONA, Wis. - Two crashes on U.S. Highway 18-151 in Verona on Tuesday sent 11 people to the hospital after a tractor-trailer and a privately-operated prisoner transport vehicle crashed in separate accidents.
The incident happened just before 6 a.m. on the westbound portion of 18-151, near County Highway PB, in Verona.
Verona police said both vehicles hit guardrails that closed westbound 18-151 for about two hours on Tuesday morning.
There were 10 prisoners and two guards inside the prisoner transport vehicle when the driver lost control on the slippery roads, spun out and struck traffic barriers. The van was operated by North Atlantic Extradition Services. Police said that all of the van's occupants were taken to local hospitals. None of them had life-threatening injuries, according to police.
Multiple police officers had to be assigned to each prisoner as they were taken for medical treatment. The Verona police requested assistance from the Dane County Sheriff's Office, Madison police, Fitchburg police, University of Wisconsin police and the Wisconsin State Patrol.
Highway 18-151 westbound reopened for traffic shortly after 8 a.m., authorities said.
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike